Sunday, 13 November 2011

Review Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Title: Beauty Queens
Author: Libba Bray


Rating


These Beauty Queens' bites are worse than their bark. It left me smiling.


This book was a great and interesting read. I definitely recommend it. 
Just a heads up for anyone who is going to read this: It makes fun of the things we worship in society and makes us focus more on the things that are actually important. And yes there are boys....are there every boys! There are Beauty Queens, Pirates, Spies, Corupt corporations, girls going insane, and a dominante female figure that holds the world in her hands. 

This book even has footnotes and each is a punch in the face to modern society, mainly teen society.

Now If you are a beauty pagent contestant there is a chance that you might not like it. There is also a chance that you might love it as I actually grew to appreciate the girls, even the ones who were not the greatest tools in the shed. If you are one of those people who like to make fun of contestants....jump right on this bandwagon, but be warned You'll be surprised.

Not all the characters were the stereotypical idea of a beauty pagent contestant, and all seemed to have some sort of real problem, i.e trans-gender, sexual preference, parental pressure, a need for something more. The point of the novel is that some people need to listen to how they sound when they are actually saying some of these stupid things, and that all the things regular teens worry and obsess over are just not that important.
Also the novel brings about the idea of being ok with yourself no matter who you are. 

When I started reading this book I laughed at all the things that came out of the girls mouths making them seems like the stereotypical Beauty pagent competeors, but as I kept reading I began to take the book more seriously as I did the girls and I guess as they did themselves. Each girl finds herself and learns to love it, which is really what we as people should be focused on.

All and all It did leave me with a smile on my face.



My Review on indigo.ca

3 comments:

  1. My friend hated this book, but I still think it looks cute, thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been coming across mixed reviews of this book, so never got down to picking it up. Some people loved it, the others found it too cheesy. Maybe I really should pick this up at my local library and decide for myself which category I fall into!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this sitting in my Kindle forever! I'll need to check out it one of these days! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...