Sunday, 18 December 2011

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


The Hunger Games
By: Suzanne Collins


Rating
 


Summary taken from Indigo.ca:


In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the other districts in line by forcing them to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight-to-the-death on live TV.
One boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and sixteen are selected by lottery to play. The winner brings riches and favor tohis or her district. But that is nothing compared to what the Capitol wins: one more year of fearful compliance with its rule. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her impoverished district in the Games.
But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
Acclaimed writer Suzanne Collins, author of the New York Timesbestselling Underland Chronicles, delivers equal parts suspense and philosophy, adventure and romance, in this stunning novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present.

Review: 
Alright so I literally just turned the final page of this book maybe two minutes ago and here is how it all started:

I've had the book for about a year and I originally bought it becaue A) it was on sale and B) I had heard so much good stuff about it. 

So I read the back and think....oh....I seriously hope this is not some Brade New World/1984 thing going on here. Because after being in school I was finally looking for something up beat and interesting. So I read the first 5 pages and put the books down thinking....what is everyone talking about?

Then about two month ago I heard it was being made into a movie. Then about a month ago I saw some pictures of said movie. And so finally five days ago when I really should have been reviewing my environmental science class for University but decided to procrastinate instead I picked up this book and made it past the first 5 pages.

KEEP READING AFTER THE FIRST FIVE PAGES. Because by page six I was hooked. I dreamed about this novel that is how crazy book it was to me, and trust me it is not something that happens to me very often...dreaming of novels that is. 

Its a love story...yes, Its an action books...yes, is there death, destruction, and a dystopian society and even a little sci-fi in there? Hell yes. 

Was it everything I need at the time and is making me count my pennies to see if I have enough to purchase the next one? You betch ya. 

Collins has found a way to captivate her audience along the same lines as Stephanie Meyer. She has you and the character confused between two guys and wondering how everything will work out. 

This is one for all audiences.

Reminds me of:
Twilight....a bit.

Next in the Series: 
Catching Fire
Mockingjay

2 comments:

  1. One of my all time fave! I gave both HG and CF 5 stars but I'm a little disappointed with Mockingjay. Too many deaths! >,<

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best YA I ever read. I'm not a big fan of YA (mostly because I'm not a young adult anymore lol) but I really love and enjoy this book. I even went to see the movie all by myself because I can't drag my friends to watch it. I usually hate watching movies alone but I make an exception for this one lol.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...