Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Review: Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood
Series: Anna
Author: Kendare Blake
Publisher: Tor Teen
Pages:  315
Format: eBook
Source: Purchased

Rating: 

Reason chosen:  
I heard so many people talk about how great this book was and when I got a better look at the cover I couldn’t pass up the chance to read it.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:
Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father''s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead-keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn''t expect anything outside of the ordinary: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he''s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
But she, for whatever reason, spares Cas''s life.

Review:
Holy Anna!
I have to admit that I was taken with this book from about page one. This book was awesome and deserved my 5. Not only did it scare the crap out of me and get my heart racing in some places but it made me laugh in so many others.
Anna Dress in Blood is a new different tale. Sure there has been the tale of Girls falling for the angels and maybe even a ghost but there hasn’t been anything like Anna that I’ve read…she is one scary ghost (according to Cas the most powerful one in the Northern Hemisphere).
It was thrilling and had my heart racing hear the end, and of course it was gruesome, which I didn’t mind because hey the book is all about death.
Then there were the parts that made me laugh out loud…and I mean pretty hard to the point that people were looking at me and questioning my sanity.
The written was so well done especially from the male perspective that I felt like I could see everything down to her dripping dress, Cas’s head in the fridge talking about Aura’s changing, and Cas looking up in the window reflection and realizing that he won’t be seeing much of anything for a while because he’s about to get cracked in the head with a two-by-four.
On top of this all…it took place in Thunder Bay, Ontario….awesome!
Now of course I want more. I want the next Anna book. I want answers to what Cas really is, where his powers come from, how come Anna was so cool with him being in her house? I want to know it all.

Good:
Cas: Although we don’t get too much description I can only imagine how hot he is…not to mention he is a born and made ghost killing machine who probably has moves like a Ninja.
Anna: She would probably scare the crap out of my in her “evil” form if I ever really saw her.
Its in Thunder Bay, Ontario!
Thomas: Seems like a cool guy
Tybalt: Awesome cat. Awesome cat.

Bad:
Might be a little too scary/gruesome in some parts? Maybe.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):
Overall the writing on this novel was very well done. Then there is the subtle humour that Blake manages to slip in leads me to believe that she knows how to crack up her friends on a daily basis. What shocked me the most was that the novel is written in the male perspective, which is not something you see everyday and not something you see pulled off well. But Blake was so flawless with her writing that I only managed to really think about it once (when he manages to say he doesn’t have to time to think about girls and things like that. Ya right…he’s a guy) and the rest was all just a great adventures.

Quotes:
“Thanks, Dad. Just one of the many creepy pearls of wisdom you had to impart.”

“I see Tybalt, who is glaring at me with a puffed-up tail. I wonder if he had been sleeping on my chest and I catapulted him off when I woke. I don’t remember, but I wish that I did, because it would’ve been hilarious.”

“I should’ve known Gideon would spill. He’s like a surrogate parent. Not like a stepfather, exactly—more like a godfather, or a sea horse who wants to stuff me into his pouch.”

“Did you hear? Both Hands. Yet I distinctly remember cutting one of them off. This strikes me as very interesting just before my head bonks off of the chipboard floor.”

“I open my mouth to pull my foot out of it…”

“What is it about the sight of your mother that makes everything fireside-warm and full of dancing Muppets?”

“But all I get is blah blah, nod-off, dead finger in my ear, snap awake.”
“But hey, at least we’ll have this strange story to tell, love and death and blood and daddy-issues. And holy crap, I am a psychiatrist’s wet dream.”

“’We’re going in tomorrow morning. I guess we’ll miss first and second period, probably.’ ‘That’s okay,’ Carmel says. ‘Those were the two periods we made it to today.’”

“Thomas give him a glare, but Carmel scoops the four-legged little flirt right up.”

Viewer Type Recommendation:
Paranormal/supernatural young adult lovers

If you liked this you'll probably love:
The Mediator series by Meg Cabot
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

Next in the series:
Girl of Nightmares, ETA: August 7th 2012

Read Completely:
Oh ya within 48 hours.


Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica, congrats on your new blog! Looks great. I've heard this book is awesome and look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower!

    Great review! I read this one in January and loved it! I can't wait for the second one.

    Here's my blog if you'd like to check it out ^.^
    The Little Blue Pig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!! I've been wanting this book since then, Hopefully I can get a copy soon :))

    Samaine @ Bookworms Avenue

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book will be my next read! I'm a little worried that it'll be a little scary for me, because I don't really like horrors, but I have to read this book! Everybody says it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I wouldn't say its really scary. It sort of is. I don't know how to explain it other than my heart was beating a little faster. I really hope you read it and enjoy it. If you do, come back and let me know what you think of it.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this review. I've been wondering if it is worth the read! Now I'm sure gonna check it out :) Great synopsis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book was incredible but the second one was not so interesting. I never really finished. I tried to read it a couple of times but it just didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...