Sunday, 26 February 2012

Review: The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver

The Demon Trapper’s Daughter aka Forsaken (U.K Title)
Series: Demon Trappers #1
Author: Jana Oliver
Publisher: St Martin’s Griffin
Pages: 340
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased this on a trip out of town to a lovely old Chapters store

Rating:

Reason chosen:  
I had seen this book while roaming around on other people’s shelves trying to get ideas of books to read and noticed it was on quite a few. When I read the back of the book it reminded me of a short story that I read in an anthology: Prom Nights from Hell. The short story was “The Exterminator's Daughter” by Meg Cabot. So I instantly wanted to read. After reading it I realized they are very different but both are awesome.

Summary taken from Chapter/Indigo.ca:
Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself - and that's exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father''s footsteps.  The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta's local Trappers' Guild needs all the help they can get - even from a girl. When she's not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley's out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils - Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life's about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley's routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood.  And, as if that wasn't bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers' Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart - and her life?

Review:

Jana Oliver introduces us to a world in the time of Armageddon where demons by the masses are running wild and the cities are not what our world is today. She also introduces us to Immersion fantasy where the magic, demons, angels, vampire and everything else just is; the world all knows about them and accepts them. I was actually a little shocked when I realized this, although of course she does explain that the world just accepts it that Earth is in a general decline, I was use to a fantasy world that was hidden from everyday people, and that only few knew about. Jana Oliver’s The Demon Trapper’s Daughter is a riveting tale about a young girl trying to make a place in a standard male position while doing the job that many others won’t, and can’t: Trapping Demons. Then of course there is the constant hinting towards Riley being a bigger part of the picture, one to which not even she is privy to.

Good:

Riley—She seems like an awesome girl who is fighting for women in a male world and trying to prove that the “damsel in distress” can kick some butt.

Ori—Please tell me more about this guy. He swoops in and helps Riley out, makes her blush and then disappears. So far…I like him, although I’m not 100% sold on the pony tail.

Simon—Cute Simon. The good-old boy who seems like out dream knight with his shinning armour. If any of you have ever seen the tv show Awkward, which I highly recommend, I picture his as Jake. He wants to protect Riley with still giving her own space and not cramping her style. He is the cuttie we all say we look for in a guy. This is how I picture him:
Ya...That's good stuff.

Denver Beck—Beck is the man we actually dream about. He is the hottie who makes us mad, makes our blood boil, and makes us want to kiss him. From the very first moment that I was introduced to Beck I pictures one person/character: Taylor Kitsch’s Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights


The sexy hot mess with the Texas drawl makes me sigh and see no one other than Taylor Kitsch. I hope that he and Riley get their act together and end up together.

Best scene ever- When Riley goes on her first Trapping job with Beck. It was awesome. They some how managed to make their job into an enjoyable adventure where afterwards they both finally get to stop acting like grown-ups and start acting their own age. I can picture the scene perfectly the two of them in a snow-filled car park and Riley, after throwing the snowball and nailing Beck in the chest, realized that Beck had the same idea as she did previously and already had a snow ball ready…why it reminds me of all the fun I had as child in Northern Canada and couldn’t stop smiling. On top of that I thought that Beck yelling directions at her while he dodges in between cars trying to avoid the flames was just hilarious.

Bad:

Not much to say here. Maybe the only thing would be that Simon and Riley’s relationship seemed a little rushed. Maybe I was too busy drooling over Beck but their “love” doesn’t seem like it will last. Not sure. Although I hope they somewhat do because he’s a great guy

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall, I was fairly impressed with Oliver’s novel. The dystopian society meets Armageddon setting puts a new twist onto things and sort of reminds me of the setting in The Hunger Games minus the evil dictatorship, although there is still at least three more books after this one so you never know it could come later. It was perfectly described within the first few chapters when it said, “The city slowly reverted to nature’s laws” as it talked about wild coyotes roaming the streets and going in and out of abandoned buildings. It really built the setting and emotion of the novel. And on top of it all they barely have to go to school…sounds like a dream to me. This is definitely a book that I will be keeping on my shelf and will recommend to others.

Quotes:

“’Ya lied to me and put yerself in danger. If the Three hadn’t ripped you apart, those two bastards would have. Ya gotta listen to me girl. I’ve been down this road myself.’
Riley Smirked. ‘Those guys wanted to party with you too?’”

“That’s when she’d learned that male egos and fruit had a lot in common: Both bruised easily.”

“’Kiss my ass, demon!’ Beck whooped, and shot a first in the air.”

“’Thanks. For everything. I mean it.’
            A slow grin edged onto his face. ‘You’re worth it…Princess.’
            Her tennis show hit the door a second after it closed.”

“’It’s up to you to fill it. Find things that mean something to you, that represent times where you’ve overcome an obstacle, learned something important. Put those items in the bag and they’ll help you find your strength.’
            ‘I’m not sure if that’s going to help much.’ Unless I put a brick in it and nail Brandy between the eyes.

“’Riley. How bad has it been?’ 
‘Just fabulous. The demonic kitten really made my night.’”

“’What did ya learn from this dumbass stunt?’
Here's where she was supposed to apologize, promise to be a good little girl and never do anything like this again. 
Screw that. 
Riley locked eyes with him. ‘I learned that the Holy Water better be fresh, that I need practice throwing the spheres, and that someone has to watch my back so asshats don't steal my demons.’”

“’That's Denver Beck, isn't it? Paul mentioned him. What's he like?’ Ori asked. 
Oh, where do I start? Beck's mouthy and he lives to tell me what to do.’ In short, he's so not you. ‘Why do you want to know?’

A glimmer appeared in Ori's dark eyes. 
‘Just scoping out the competition.’”

Next in the Series:

Soul Thief aka Forbidden (U.K Title)->Click for review
Forgiven->Click for review
Foretold ->Click for review

Viewer Type Recommendation:

Paranormal, Young Adult readers. Young adult demon/magic readers. Armageddon readers.

If you liked this you'll probably love:


Read Completely:
Oh yes.


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the amazing review! I'm so happy that you enjoyed the story. And I do love Beck and Riley. They're a joy to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting the next one today! And I can't wait for the release of the next one. Thank you for writing your novels!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic review. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts and opinions about this novel. Sounds like a great read.

    ~Sherry

    Check out my books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is a "must read" in February for readers looking for a story with a lot of personality and a bit of a hard edge.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...