Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Review: Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins


Gregor the Overlander
Series: Underland Chronicles #1
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Pages: 311
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased for school

Rating: 

Reason chosen:  
Had to read it for school, but I don’t regret it. I actually really liked it!

Summary taken from Goodreads.com:

When eleven-year-old Gregor follows his little sister through a grate in the laundry room of their New York apartment, he hurtles into the dark Underland beneath the city. There, humans live uneasily beside giant spiders, bats, cockroaches, and rats—but the fragile peace is about to fall apart.

Gregor wants no part of a conflict between these creepy creatures. He just wants to find his way home. But when he discovers that a strange prophecy foretells a role for him in the Underland's uncertain future, he realizes it might be the only way to solve the biggest mystery of his life. Little does he know his quest will change him and the Underland forever.

Rich in suspense and brimming with adventure, Suzanne Collin's debut marked a thrilling new talent, and introduced a character no young reader will ever forget.

Review:

I was a little sceptical when I first picked up this book and read the back. But, then I thought this is the same author who brought me The Hunger Games so how disappointing can it really be?
I will tell you I was not disappointed...not one bit. Not only can Suzanne Collins write novels that rival Twilight but she can also write the kind of novel that rivals both Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. I thought I would be brought into a world where there was a little immature 11 year-old, but instead, like Harry and Percy, Gregor was forced to grow up due to events that life dealt them.
Even though there are crawler (Cockroaches), gnawers (rats), spinners (spiders), and many other things I found myself captivated by the quest, the adventures and the characters.

Good:

Gregor—seems like a really descent guy
Boots—she seems like an awesome 2 year-old, even when she is having a melt-down

Bad:

I couldn’t think of anything to put here.  Perhaps I could say that for 311 pages I felt like the quest was very quick...although I was never bored or thought there was too much description, I just thought there would be more, but I guess that’s why it’s the first in a series.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall, much like The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins writes a clear picture of the surroundings, the story, and the character. There was never a moment when I had to back track to read something over thinking I must have read it wrong. Everything with Collins is very clear and she doesn’t waste her time on needless detail and also doesn’t lack where detail is required

Next in the Series:


Viewer Type Recommendation:

"Questers", Fantasy, Alternate Worlds

If you liked this you'll probably love:


Read Completely:
Yes


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...