Monday, 5 March 2012

Review Soul Thief by Jana Oliver


Soul Thief (A.K.A Forbidden)
Series: Demon Trappers #2
Author:  Jana Oliver
Publisher: St Martin’s Griffin
Pages: 339
Format: EPUB
Source: Purchased

Rating: 

Reason chosen:  

I loved the first one and was grabbing for the second the moment I put down the first.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Riley Blackthorne is beginning to learn that there are worse things than death by demon. And love is just one of them…
Seventeen-year-old Riley has about had it up to here. After the devastating battle at the Tabernacle, trappers are dead and injured, her boyfriend Simon is gravely injured, and now her beloved late father's been illegally poached from his grave by a very powerful necromancer. As if that's not enough, there''s Ori, one sizzling hot freelance demon hunter who's made himself Riley's unofficial body guard, and Beck, a super over-protective "friend" who acts more like a grouchy granddad.  With all the hassles, Riley's almost ready to leave Atlanta altogether.
But as Atlanta's demon count increases, the Vatican finally sends its own Demon Hunters to take care of the city's "little" problem, and pandemonium breaks loose. Only Riley knows that she might be the center of Hell's attention: an extremely powerful Grade 5 demon is stalking her, and her luck can''t last forever…

Review:

What can I say? I love this series. I find it awesome that, although Riley is strong is so many ways, she has weaknesses that make her a realistic character and someone we can relate to. I love the supernatural in the story mixed with the realism coming in the form of one extremely horrible ex-boyfriend. I love the heaven and hell story behind it, but above all I love the twists. I can honestly say I did not see it coming and I continued to questioned many aspects of the characters until it was all revealed.  And I love the Beck and Riley relationship...for two people so meant to be together they continue to get it so wrong...and I love it. I find myself shaking my head at Beck then yelling at him when he’s hitting on other women. And then of course I find myself yelling at Riley when they are fighting with each other, however I’m generally yelling “Kiss all ready!!” other times I yell “She’s right! You are acting like an old man. Where is the 22-year-old Beck?” Either way the book makes me yell with passion over all the passages that I love. This book is a great mix of wayward romance, drama, action, self discovery and simply discovering the world you live in but never really knew.

Good:

Riley: Although she is not done finding herself she is getting better as being herself. On top of it all she has one very large horse shoe up her butt.
Beck: Dear, Beck. I love thee. Beck is awesome....even when he is hitting on other girls and acting like some forty year old man instead of his sexy twenty-two year oldness.
Ori: Very, very interesting

Bad:

Simon: Jerk—I guess it’s not really a bad aspect of the book, more like I just don’t like him right now.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall Oliver knows how to write. She knows how to portray a completely fictional character that lives in an Armageddon world with extremely realistic and vulnerable tendencies. I found myself yelling at the books with passion, as well as crying, and especially laughing. This girl knows how to bring across those sarcastic comments and quick wit, and I am already reaching for the next one.

Quotes:

“The end is near!” the man shouted again. “Is there still time for hot chocolate?” Riley asked.

“I was sooo stupid,” Riley admitted. “No argument.” “Hey, it’s partially your fault. I blame your wine; it was wicked strong.” “I blame your mouth,” Ayden retorted.

“You’ll regret this,” he called out. “The regret line forms to the right,” she said.

“What about Beck?” Simi asked, wrinkling her brow. “Backwoods Boy? Are you crazy? It’d be a threesome—me, him, and his overbearing ego. Definitely doom to failure.”

During his hour’s vigil he’d come to one conclusion: He was losing his mind when it came to Paul’s daughter. He was jealous. No way to deny it. When he’d seen that man put his arm around her, he’d wanted to rip the guy to pieces.

“Good to go,” he announced, rejoining her. “Dad says I shouldn’t get arrested or I would end up in Illinois sharing a bed with the twins.” That’s a brutal threat,” Riley replied. “Totally brutal. The ghouls have been known to wet their bed.”

“His eyes rose to hers, pleading. “I can’t face losin’ ya, Riley. Yer all I got left in this world.”

“Goddammit!” he shouted, jumping to his feet. His sudden motion frightened her ad she cringed back againstthe couch. “Why him? Why not...someone who cares about ya?”
Someone like you.

Previously in the Series:

Demon Trapper’s Daughter a.k.a Forsaken (#1)-> Click for review

Next in the Series:

Forgiven (#3)->Click for review
Foretold (#4)->Click for review

Viewer Type Recommendation:

Paranormal, Young Adult readers. Young adult demon/magic readers. Armageddon readers.

If you liked this you'll probably love:


Read Completely:
Oh yes

I also finished the Retro Demonology shortly after. It  was cute, but nothing special.


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a good series I'm missing. thanks for another great review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...