Friday, 4 May 2012

Review: Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins


Spell Bound
Series:  Hex Hall #3
Author:  Rachel Hawkins
Publisher:  Hyperion Book
Pages:  327
Format:  ebook
Source:  Purchased

Rating: 

Reason chosen:  

Read the first one and just couldn’t stop

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Hailed as "impossible to put down," the Hex Hall series has both critics and teens cheering. With a winning combination of romance, action, magic and humor, this third volume will leave readers enchanted.
Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies--the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that's what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn't as confident. Sophie's bound for one hell of a ride--can she get her powers back before it's too late?

Review:

Here is the picture as I lay it out before you. A young innocent girl at work (me) who just turned the last page (electronically) and put the book (kobo) down. Then begins a 5 minutes long look at the nearest blank wall and thinks. Yup…that’s how it played out. I couldn’t come to the conclusion if I loved this book or didn’t know what to make of it. My fellow co-worker who is also an avid book reader and lover told me something profound: “That’s what many people say makes a good book. When you don’t know if you should love it or hate it, or just don’t have a clue.” So that is why this book gets my 4 stars.
This book was so emotional and many times when I was at work I gasped out loud just to have my co-worker turn to me and say “Did you break something?”.
On top of it all I don’t even know if I want to write this review.  Ok, well that is a flat out lie. I want to write this review but everything I want to talk about or point out, or focus on could lead to a possible spoiler, and I try to stay away from that (will occasionally failing miserably to the point were a face palm is warranted).
This was not a first…I remember reading Twilight and being all “yup, that’s how she needed to end it, but sometimes I just wish it was the other way around” and of course the whole Mockingjay debackle that left my whole mouth open in awe and then fifteen minutes later I was nodding at the brilliance of how Suzanne Collins concluded everything, thinking once again, “yup, that’s how it needed to happen” and then this giddy smiles breaks out onto my face. But this one took me a little bit longer to get there. Which is maybe why its not a five but I can’t deny that this book left my heart pumping fast, my lower lip gnawed, and my mind swirling. I just did not see that ending coming. I figured it would, but not the way it did.
Man I wish I could say more. But, sadly, I can’t. Other than read this series and you will see what I am saying! And you won’t be dissatisfied.

Good:

Sophie: the amount of whit that comes out of this girl could make the most foreign speaking person laugh and completely understand, and the Queen…now that is saying a lot.
Archer: if Sophie has whit than he is the Hutch to her Starsky, the Hooch to her Turner, the Daemon to her Elaina, the Robin to her Batman, and so on and so forth….basically he adds on and makes the jokes utterly brilliant.
Cal: sexy, quiet, sexy, healing, beautiful, caring, hot, jealous, smoldering, plaid wearing Cal. I can’t do anything other than shake my head at your awesomeness.
Sophie’s Dad: The sarcastic funny version of Sophie with a lot of Britishness added on.

Bad:

I still haven’t make up my mind about this. Whether I did like the ending or not I have no clue. And I don’t want to say anything more out of fright of spoilers.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the writing was awesome, the story was adventurous, fast paced, never boring, and full of information. As always Rachel Hawkins has made some great twists adding on to the effects of the story and drawn the reader into her alternate world filled with adventure. The funny that she brings through her characters is timed perfectly and in my opining only some of the best writers can pull it off as well as she can. Now if only we could find out what Torin was hinting at to her cousin…what lies ahead of her? So mysterious.

Quotes:

Click here for some of my favourite quotes from Spell Bound

Previously in the Series:

Hex Hall-> Click for my review
Demonglass-> Click for my review

Next In the Series:

Umm…I think this was the end, but you never know.

Viewer Type Recommendation:

A paranormal and/or young adult lover would love this.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Demon Trapper’s Daughter (aka Forsaken ) by Jana Oliver, The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade,  Forgive my Fins by Tera Lynn Childs, Dead is Series by Marlene Perez, The Immortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare, The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare, The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot.

Read Completely:
Yes

Now, to finish off the mind boggle that I began at the start of the series:



Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins 
Hex Hall by Rachel HawkinsArcher



Or Cal?


Click on the lovely team button to be taken to the website of the wonderful creator who made them!

Well it resolved so much…oh, now wait. It didn’t….that’s right I’m still team both. Sigh.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I need to read this book. I've read the first two and this is the only one left. Demonglass ended on such an evil cliffhanger. I'm just dying to know what happened and if everyone made it out of the fire all right..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...