Thursday, 24 May 2012

Review: Requiem by Jamie McGuire


Requiem
Series:  Providence #2
Author: Jamie McGuire
Publisher: Jamie McGuire LLC
Pages:  257
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased
View/Purchase:  Goodreads


Rating

Reason chosen:  

I loved the first one.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Dreaming of the dead might mean a restless night for anyone, but for Nina Grey it was a warning.
Still healing from her last run-in with Hell, Nina struggles with not only her life as a Brown University student, but also as an intern at Titan Shipping, her father’s company. Recurring nightmares about her father’s violent death have become a nightly event, but being overwhelmed with guilt from Ryan’s unexpected departure to the Armed Forces, and heart ache over Claire being across the ocean to protect him, Nina believes her sleepless nights are the least of her problems—but she’s wrong.
Worried about Nina’s declining health, Jared must steal back Shax’s book for answers. Fighting new enemies, and with the help of new friends, Jared’s worst fear comes to fruition. Desperate, he is faced with a choice: Fight Hell alone, or start a war with Heaven.”
Requiem is the highly anticipated second installment of the Providence series by breakout author Jamie McGuire. Fans who fell in love with the descriptive prose, delicious suspense, and surprising twists and turns of Providence will not be disappointed as they continue in the journey of star-crossed lovers Jared and Nina.

Review:

Ok. So I loved the first one and I still love Jared and Nina in this one. In fact I’m starting to really appreciate and love all the characters in this novel. However, Jamie McGuire has stepped outside of just Angels and Demons and into religion in this novel. I’m a little scared to read the next one because when it comes to religion it’s generally a subject that I think writers should try to avoid or tread lightly. I know, I know. How can you someone write about angels and demons but not write about religion but some manage to...her first book did. So I’m just a bit hesitant t continue. If you’ve read the book you probably understand the exact part of this novel that I’m referring to.
Anyhow, religion aside I still loved the book. I loved the characters, even though Nina was a lot crankier in this novel but I guess getting 4 hours of sleep a night would do that to you. Not to mention the life style they live. And once again McGuire did have me on the edge of my seat saying “No, no, no. Please don’t let that happen.” She does know how to tug on your heartstrings.
Not to mention I was ecstatic when something I predicted in the first novel actually happens in the second (mainly Ryan’s involvement in everything). Now if only my predications about why Bex can sense demons and others more than the others comes to I will be set and laughing my evil laugh.

Good:

Nina: She’s finally learning to stop standing behind Jared and stand with him. She can somewhat kick butt too. A little

Jared: As always sexy, protective. Sigh. Jealous.

Ryan: I’m really starting to enjoy Ryan now. In the first novel I thought he was annoying and should just move out of the way. Not so much anymore. Not to mention this kid ends up in the hospital a lot!

Claire: She’s starting to relax. And I’m starting to like her.

Bex: You crafty little bugger you. You’re going to end up being the strongest and greatest of the siblings aren’t you? And probably for good reason.

Bad:

I kind of got a whole Twilight feeling about this series. Mainly the love triangle and why Nina and Ryan were actually close in the first place. Not to mention what I think will happen in the next book with Bex. Feeling a little twilightly. That and the religion thing. I hope she treads lightly and doesn’t do anything too drastic with religion in the next book. It tends to be a touchy subject with a lot of people.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):


Overall I did like the book and I will continue the series. I found the writing a little confusing in this one as well. Sometimes I had to re-read to understand what just happened. Like on occasion one minute they were talking inside the car then they were in the loft. There wasn’t really a good perception of time and explanation of what was happen so I could keep track easily.


Quotes:

Claire freed him, and then lifted Ryan to his feet. She pushed back his head to inspect his wound, overly rough. “You’ll live.” Ryan winced. “Thanks, Honey, I love you, too.”

“Should be a pleasant flight, Mr. and soon-to-be Mrs. Ryel,” the pilot said. Jared’s grin stretched the width of his face. “I might have paid him extra to say that.” “I figured as much,” I teased.

Previously In the series:

Providence ->Click to read my review

Next In the Series:


Viewer Type Recommendation:

Angel lovers, paranormal lovers, and lovers of love.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick, Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally, Sarah Dessen novels, Storm by Brigid Kemmerer, Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers.

Read Completely:
Yes

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...