Friday, 22 June 2012

Review: Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer

Short-Straw Bride
Series: Archer Brothers #1
Author:  Karen Witemeyer
Publisher: Bethany House
Pages:  363
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased

Rating:

Reason chosen:  

It was recommended to me and while I was in a phase where I was reading romance novels I ordered it.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

No one steps on Archer land. Not if they value their life. But when Meredith Hayes overhears a lethal plot to burn the Archer brothers off their ranch, a twelve-year-old debt compels her to take the risk. Fourteen years of constant vigilance hardens a man. Yet when Travis Archer confronts a female trespasser with the same vivid blue eyes as the courageous young girl he once aided, he can''t bring himself to send her away. And when an act of sacrifice leaves her injured and her reputation in shreds, gratitude and guilt send him riding to her rescue once again. Four brothers. Four straws. One bride. Despite the fact that Travis is no longer the gallant youth Meredith once dreamed about, she determines to stand by his side against the enemy that threatens them both. But will love ever be hers? Or will Travis always see her merely as a short-straw bride?

Review:

So I have to admit that when I look at romance novels I always expect a lot of heat. I was happily surprised when I found out that it was actually a straight-up romance novel. All about two people falling in love. *Swoon.
And better yet she ends up getting stuck on a farm with four hot men and one that is determined to believe she is his responsibility. An of course they’ve only every laid eyes upon each other once before—12 years ago and they remembered each other every since. Her beautiful eyes haunted him and his face was always placed on her dream men. Frig…if that’s not romance I don’t know what else. What I found made this even more romantic is that it takes placed in the late 1800s when a small touch on the leg was extremely personal so I felt myself falling into the old customs and truly enjoying the blooming romance and crazy stuff that happens.

Good:

Meredith: Strong and independent despite her short-comings in life. She’s determined to not let anything hold her back and be the strong woman she needs to be.

Travis: The oldest of the brothers who has sworn to protect them and their land and is determined to keep his family safe and together while still being a good Christian and gentleman. Hot, honourable, sweet, courageous, and a cowboy. Man, oh man. Do I ever love him.

The other Archer boys: with all completely different personalities they sure know how to keep things interested

Bad:

I did want a little but more romance between the two, but then again it is listed as a Christian romance.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the writing style was great. I didn’t find myself confused expect sometimes coming across readings from the Bible. Its been a while since I’ve read one. The characters I found were well developed, however characters like her aunt just seemed to fall into a usual character type.  Overall I felt this book was a great romance, one that you could really connect to and when you take intro consideration the era you find yourself falling ever so much more.

Viewer Type Recommendation:

Romance Lovers.

If you liked this you'll probably love:


Read Completely:
Yes

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...