Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Review: Existence by Abbi Glines


Existence
Series:  Existence #1
Author:  Abbi Glines
Publisher: Wild Child Publishing
Pages:  162
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased
View/Purchase:  Goodreads, The Book Depository

Rating:

Reason chosen:

Because the couple on the front cover are oh so familiar. (They’re on Obsidian and Onyx by Jennifer Armentrout, and the How to Ruin series by Simone Elkeles).

Summary taken from Goodreads.com:

What happens when you're stalked by Death? You fall in love with him, of course.

Pagan Moore doesn't cheat Death, but instead, falls in love with him.

Seventeen year old Pagan Moore has seen souls her entire life. Once she realized the strangers she often saw walking through walls were not visible to anyone else, she started ignoring them. If she didn't let them know she could see them, then they left her alone. Until she stepped out of her car the first day of school and saw an incredibly sexy guy lounging on a picnic table, watching her with an amused smirk on his face. Problem is, she knows he's dead.

Not only does he not go away when she ignores him, but he does something none of the others have ever done. He speaks. Pagan is fascinated by the soul. What she doesn't realize is that her appointed time to die is drawing near and the wickedly beautiful soul she is falling in love with is not a soul at all.

He is Death and he's about to break all the rules.

Review:

And they thought I was crazy. Pfff.
Although I guess technically Pagan isn’t crazy. But, man, if I were her friend I would sure thinks she it. I mean Leif puts up with a lot. I kind of like him because of it.  There are a lot of books out there that deal with Angels, Demons, and all the monster that lying waiting for under your bed, but what about the immortal being known as ‘Death’. Well I don’t know about you, but this was a first for me. I won’t lie either. I had a lot of predictions going through my head when I read the summery and being I started reading the book. But, I was proven wrong. Countless times. The book continued to through bump and twists at me that I finally sat back took out all my pre-conceived notions and just enjoyed the book. And who would have thought…I like it. Although there are some things holding me back from marking this a 5/5 there was a lot of good in there. And I mean come on, who wouldn’t fantasize about dating a rock god. Because apparently Dank is. And he says some things that every girl would just love to hear. It was swoon central when they were alone. Another thing about this novel that you will notice are the names. There are some creative names in it. Sometimes it’s distracting, but at the same time it made the characters memorable. This read is different from the rest. The characters are unique, the story line unexpected, and the overall read enjoyable.

Good:

Pagan: She is uniquely mature, strong, and thinks calculatingly, which is good because then you more likely to like her. Although sometimes I question how strong she is because it occasionally feels like she does some stupid things, but nothing childish so you can’t really be mad at her.

Dank: Rock god. Heart throb. Crazy powerful. Jealous and protective. Yum

Leif: Basically he seems like the dream boyfriend. Well so far he is the dream boyfriend. He carries her books for her, gets them at her locker, takes her on a ski trip, defends her to his mom, is proud of her, cares for her, worries for her. And he’s the star quarterback. Need I go on?

Bad:

Alright I’ll lay it down. I found it hard to believe that their relationship bloomed in such a short period of time, and it didn’t help that there wasn’t a lot of communication before they were in love. I sat back and thought “okayyyyyyy”. Maybe that’s just me, but usually I like to have a little more getting to know each other, and like the actual falling in love before they become dependent on each other. Just sayin. Also, have you seen how small this book is? Clearly it needed to be longer with more detail, more dialogue, more kissing, just more was needed to make this fantastic. I mean really with a book that as good a story line as this one it shouldn’t be afraid to be over 200 pages.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall there wasn’t much issue with the writing. Granted sometimes I was confused because I could have sworn a second ago he was sitting and a second later he was described as standing, or what happened when her friends found out she went for an unexpected dip in the ocean? But small things like that don’t really matter in the big picture. But there was an overall lack of….development, I guess. Sometimes I though Pagan needed to pull herself together and not leave because he was singing about her, because if her friends noticed then she was screwed, but they didn’t seem to notice. Don’t get me wrong there is a good story line here and I’m hoping the next book in the series really helps it pick up. I plan on continuing this series, but I have to wait until I’ve finished all 3.5 books to see if they are something I would be interesting in buying.

Quotes:

“Souls mean nothing to me. They aren’t supposed to. But your has become my obsession.”

“I don’t want you to just be my
tutor. I want you to be the girl I look for in the halls every
morning and save a seat for in the cafeteria. I want you to be
the one waiting for me when I walk off the field at my games.
I want you to be the one I pick up the phone to call just to
make me smile.”

Next In the Series:

Predestined (Existence #2)
Leif (Existence #2.5)
Ceasless (Existence #3) ETA:  September 18th 2012

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you love a supernatural or paranormal romance this is for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Providence series by Jamie McGuire, Abandon series by Meg Cabot, The Ghost and the Goth series by Stacey Kade, Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake, I got a little feeling of Twilight up in there because of the Love triangle and need for on another, and The Mediator series by Meg Cabot

Read Completely:
Yes.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...