Thursday, 4 October 2012

Review: Dead is a Killer Tune by Marlene Perez


Dead is a Killer Tune
Series: Dead is #7
Author: Marlene Perez
Publisher: Graphia
Pages: 204
Format: Paperback
Source: Pre-purchased

Rating: 

Reason chosen:

I’ve previously read and loved all the other books in the Dead Is series

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo:

High school freshman Jessica Walsh is a Virago-a woman warrior who must protect her hometown from danger. And in Nightshade, California, trouble is always lurking. At the town's Battle of the Bands, Jess's boyfriend, Dominic, and his band, Side Effects May Vary, are up against Hamlin, a band so popular, their fans follow them everywhere. Soon, the competing musicians are doing risky, illegal, and even fatal things-and claiming that they heard strange music that compelled them to do it. Can Jess and her friends track down the tuneful tyrant before it's too late?

Review:

It took me a month to get through this book. Normally it would take me a day or two. I’m not 100% sure if this is because since I started this series back in 2008 my taste and expectations have changed (It tends to happen when you read over 100 books a year), or because this one was much slower than the others. Either way I didn’t like this book as much as the others. I found that the characters were focused more on being polite and up standing citizens compared to the actual on goings. Although this is a nice idea its not very realistic and takes away from the story. At the same time there were a lot of little side thoughts (I was going to ask them, but thought better of it, or hmm…that sounded familiar but I didn’t have enough time to think about) I don’t know if you get what I mean from that but I hope so. There were also moments when some things just didn’t make sense. A character in the novel states that the last thing she remembered was an estate sale, yet the next sentence she says she can’t perform because she doesn’t sound good anymore. My observation is that she became a good singer after the estate sale not to mention she joined a band after the estate sale and join the competition after the estate sale…so how did she remember all this is she didn’t remember anything after the estate sale and there were no mentions of someone explaining things to her. A lot of little things like that that perhaps only an observant reader would noticed really got to me and took away from the story line. Then I have to say that the story line was…busy. There seemed to be a lot happening and I sort of got the feeling of the book being a mystery. I know that sounds dumb because it is right…but there is a difference between a supernatural book that has a mystery like Storm by Brigid Kemmerer when you are trying to figure out who the person they sent to observe and potentially destroy them is, than compared to a Sherlock Holmes character. They directly referred to looking for clues when I felt it would have been a better storyline if we were allowed to pick up on whether or not it was a clue and sort of build the mystery ourselves. There were also a lot of coincidences, such as in a cave filled with garbage and random things she feels something plastic and has the need to put it in her pocket and later on realizes it’s a clue.
I ‘m not trying to bash the book or the author or anything because I really liked all the other novels in the series and there were some aspects that I liked about this books as well. Not to mention this is a fantastic series for teens. I wasn’t a big fan of Dominic in the beginning of the book but near the end I did. I guess I’m a sucker for romance. Jessica seems like a nice kid. Perhaps I would like her to be a little more bold and self confident but she is still a good character. And I love that Daisy (the main character from books 1-5) was in this novel as well. And of course the music and band stuff is very cool. And I love that Dominic is a Oracle that sings songs that provide warnings to what is happening. Although they seem to neglect the songs because I figured out who it was in half way through the novel where they never figured it out until they stumbled upon the bad guy in action.

Good:

Jessica—Kicks butt and a nice girl
Dominic—starts off weak but he finally gets his act together.

Bad:

I guess this series is directed towards a younger audience than myself and I’ve started to see where it lacks to make a novel into a great novel.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the story line was decent and had potential however the writing should have been revised to remove unimportant sentences and maybe add in more detail so that the reader can get a better picture of the world of Nightshade. Overall I may no longer be continuing with this series and if I do it’s for a light read when I have nothing else available.

Previously in the Series:

Dead is a Battlefield (#6)->Click for review.

Next in the Series:

Dead is Just a Dream No ETA or further information provided as of yet

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you love supernatural series directed towards a younger viewer that is a light read than this is for you

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Bras & Broomsticks by Sarah Mlynowski

Read Completely:
Yes

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post! I'm always on the look out for series for my daughter to read. I think she will enjoy this series!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...