Sunday, 7 October 2012

Review: Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally


Stealing Parker
Series: Hundred Oaks #2
Author:  Miranda Kenneally
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Genre: YA, Romance, Contemporary
Release Date: October 1st 2012
Pages: 242
Format: Paperback
Source: Pre-ordered!

Rating:

Reason chosen:

Because Catching Jordan also by Miranda Kenneally was extremely awesome.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

After her family's scandal rocks their conservative small town, 17-year-old Parker Shelton goes overboard trying to prove that she won't turn out like her mother: a lesbian. The all-star third-baseman quits the softball team, drops 20 pounds and starts making out with guys--a lot. But hitting on the hot new assistant baseball coach might be taking it a step too far...especially when he starts flirting back.

Review:

I loved this book. This book, like Catching Jordan, touched on so many important social aspects like girls playing sports, sexuality, religion, and falling for someone older. I loved Parker’s view on how people should be treated, but like many other people she realizes that she’s not even following her own beliefs. Then there is religion and I thought it was very well touched upon in this novel. Usually when I come across a book about religion I hesitate because I question how an author will deal with it. Well Miranda, in my opinion, does a fantastic job. She points to what really makes a Christian and sometimes were the lines blur and she makes me feel like my beliefs are being spoken through this book. Maybe I just scared some people, but really don’t worry there is nothing in here that makes you think you have to go to church every day and that certain things are sins and there is no over coming that. Not to mention this book doesn’t focus on religion all that much (only when Parker is trying to figure things out in her life). But the book touches on acceptance and what a real friend is.
That being said this book rocked. For me it wasn’t as good as Catching Jordan and I think the only reason I say this is because there were many parts in Catching Jordan where I was torn between Sam Henry and Ty. In this book…not so much. If you’ve read the summary than maybe you already understand why, and if you still don’t then…well read the book cause I’m not ruining it for you.  However, I will be honest and say there were still some moments that I actually felt bad for the guy and questioned what his motives really were. So, to say that an author can do that means they are a great writer. While reading this I cried, laughed, was confused, wanted to slap some people, and wondered how it would all turn out.  Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally is a moving coming of age story that will touch your heart and opens you mind making you want more from the world that she created.
Did I also mention that my favourite sport (which I also happen to play every summer, never failing) is Baseball/Softball? So lets just say this had me smiling when people were hitting home runs or triples. Well it just had me smiling in general when the subject came up.

Good:

Parker—I read some people’s progress updates while they were reading this book and I heard that they didn’t really like Parker. Granted there were some moments I was not very proud of her for but overall she was a good kid trying to figure things out. Some didn’t like that she talked about nail polish all the time. Well I say that it fit the circumstances well. Parker is girl whose mother revealed she was a lesbian and because of it people were questioning her sexuality. So she became a girly girl trying to make sure that no one would think she was a lesbian and shun her like they did her mother. Hence the ditching sports, losing weight, constant nail polish referrals, and making out with a lot of guys.

Corndog/Will—At first I thought “rude”, but Corndog really starts to grow on you actually...I friggin love him.

Drew: Drew is a pretty great guy who is going through a lot. And he loved Harry Potter. Gotta love him.

Sam Henry: makes a few appearances in this novel and I love every single one of them. He is hilarious!

Bad:

I can’t say there was anything bad. I really really enjoyed it.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the writing style was perfect. I never had to re-read something to understand what was happening. Instead I actually re-read sentences to make sure what I was reading was correct…along the lines of “That did not just happen!” or “oh my lord that was awesome!”. The humor came across very well in this novel (although as Henry wasn’t there that much there was less of it) and I found myself giggling and laughing out loud.

Quotes:

Click here for some of my favourite quotes

Previously In the Series:

Catching Jordan (#1)-> Click for review

Next In the Series:

Things I Can't Forget (#3) ETA: March 1st 2013
Racing Savannah (#4) ETA: December 1st 2013

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you love a young adult romance with some sports and a lot of interesting and funny characters than this is one you should get your hands on.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally, Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens, Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins, Leaving Paradise and Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles, Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell,  Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler, TheMockingbirds series by Daisy Whitney, and the Sarah Dessen novels.

Read Completely:
Oh yes. 

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. LOVE Miranda's books! I'm looking forward to the next one so much!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...