Sunday, 18 November 2012

Review: Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet by Darynda Jones


Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet
Series: Charley Davidson series
Author:  Darynda Jones
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Genre: Adult, Supernatural/Paranormal, There is slight chance that this is ok for YA (maybe 17 and above)
Release Date: October 30th 2012
Pages: 265
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased this bad boy

Rating:

Reason chosen:

Because Charley Davidson rocks my socks off. She could be a stand-up comedian if she wasn’t getting herself into SO much trouble.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

In Darynda Jones's Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet, sometimes being the grim reaper really is that. Grim. And since Charley’s last case went so awry, she has taken a couple months off to wallow in the wonders of self-pity. But when a woman shows up on her doorstep convinced someone is trying to kill her, Charley has to force herself to rise above. Or at least get dressed. She quickly realizes something is amiss when everyone the woman knows swears she’s insane. The more they refute the woman’s story, the more Charley believes it.

In the meantime, the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, has been cleared of all charges. He is out of prison and out of Charley’s life, as per her wishes and several perfectly timed death threats. But his absence has put a serious crimp in her sex life. While there are other things to consider, like the fact that the city of Albuquerque has been taken hostage by an arsonist, Charley is having a difficult time staying away. Especially when it looks like Reyes may be involved. Just when life was returning to normal, Charley is thrust back into the world of crime, punishment, and the devil in blue jeans.

Review:

Hilarity. Absolutely laugh out loud causing. Charley Davidson would be my hero if she was real. Actually, how cares, she is my hero. Darynda Jones is a master of deception and disguise! Her writing and story telling leaves you questioning and making assumptions about characters and circumstances in her novels while you read them, some of which you believe are pretty easy to guess and some you actually do get right, then BAM! She hits you with something you never saw coming. Something that leaves you emotionally wrecked. Something that makes you gasp out loud. Something that made me have to put the book down and really think about it before I could continue. When you find a writer who can do that to you…you tend to stick close to them. This book was a fascinating and humorous wild-ride that left me smiling and now I just want more, more, more. I mean Reyes…human…most of the time. It’s swoon worthy. And then her father…he is maddening and frustrating and I don’t really know if he is redeemed in my eyes. I mean why can’t he just see her as his daughter? But, then there are many parts in the novel that made me question whether or not she is like Reyes and has never really belonged to anyone. Oh my lord it was a mind-boggling, question raising, heart pumping, tear creating, work of genius. Darynda Jones really hit me where it hurt in this novel and I did not see the large twist coming. And, man did I ball my eyes out like it was Christmas. Then there was the absolute last page…I saw it coming, but it leaves it open for SO many shenanigans in the next novel. I cannot wait for the next novel in the series. JULY?! That is far, far too long.

Good:

Charley—as always my hat is off to your madness. You are the mad-hatter of your story.

Reyes—Corporeal form! I cannot get over it all.

Gemma—You are a cool older sister, and lets face it you are slowly becoming more and more like Charley. You are coming over to the dark-side. They have Margaritas.

Cookie—Forever and always funny. They way you act, the things you say, and just how well you know Charley.

Biker Boyz—I better see more of you guys. You’re growing on me like cancer.

Garrett Swoops—I friggin’ love you.

Bad:

Nadda.
Ok well maybe more Swoops!

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall this book was fantastic and well deserving of my praise and being listed among my favourites. The writing style is so easy to follow and flows so well you never have to stop, unless its to re-read something and then usually followed by an ‘Yup, she did say/do that”, or you just want to read it again cause it made you laugh pretty hard. Darynda Jones sucks you into the frantic world of Charley Davidson and makes it so you never want to leave. I cannot think of what I will do and/or feel when this series is over. By all means, if Darynda Jones wants to go all the way to 20 books I will be more than happy to buy them all as they come.

Quotes:

Click here for some of my favourite quotes!

Previously in the Series:

First Grave on the Right (#1)->Click for review
Second Grave on the Left (#2)->Click for review
Third Grave Dead Ahead (#3)->Click for review

Next in the Series:

Fifth Grave Past the Light (#5) ETA:  July 9th 2013

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of a hilarious read, and/or paranormal/supernatural romance than this is for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Shifters series by Rachel Vincent, Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost, Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Providence by Jamie McGuire, Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs, Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake, Hush, Hush series by Becca Fizpatrick, Supernaturally Kissed and An Everlasting Bite by Stacey Kennedy, Jolie Wilkins series by H.P. Mallory,

Read Completely:
Oh yes

Tailer:


Audio Book clip

http://us.macmillan.com/fourthgravebeneathmyfeet/DaryndaJones


Alternate Cover(s):


Author Website/Blog:
Twitter: @Darynda









Grimlets on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DaryndasGrimletsPhotobucket

3 comments:

  1. One word.. Jealous. Cannot wait to read it :( haven't had time to pick it up from the storm, but oh I love this series so much. I will have to savor this book since the next one is so far away... or at least it feels like it is

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the review and i love your reviews they're very thorough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad 2 know u enjoyed it i've been reading all your reviews of these books

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...