Monday, 31 December 2012

Review: Courting Cate by Leslie Gould


Courting Cate
Series: The Courtships of Lancaster County
Author:  Leslie Gould
Publisher: Bethany House
Genre:  Christian Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: November 1st 2012
Pages:  341
Format: Paperback
Source: Provided by publisher for review. Thanks so much to Bethany House!

Rating:

Reason chosen:

I received a request to review multiple books and this was one of two that I choose.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

When Amish farmer Pete Treger moves to Paradise Township, Pennsylvania, seeking a better life, he meets sisters Cate and Betsy Miller. Both are beautiful, but older sister Cate is known more for her sharp tongue and fiery temper than her striking appearance. Betsy, on the other hand, is sweet and flirty--and seems to have attracted most of the bachelors in Lancaster County
However, the sisters' wealthy father has made one hard and fast rule: elder sister must marry first, before the younger can even start courting. Unfortunately for poor Betsy, and for the men who want to court her, her older sister, Cate, doesn't have any suitors--until Pete comes to town, that is.
Though he finds both sisters attractive, something about Cate's feisty demeanor appeals to him. Soon the other bachelors in the district convince Pete to court Cate. She hardly seems receptive to his overtures, though. Instead, she's immediately suspicious of his interest.

Review:

Taming of the Shrew…Amish style. I really enjoyed reading this novel. I kept thinking about 10 Things I Hate About You and, although Pete is not your average Heath Ledger, Cate and Betsy fit the bill of the characters pretty well. I enjoyed Cate’s hard heart and tough exterior, and, of course, that she was a book nerd. I liked that she wanted to start a business and researched things that could help out her community. Sometimes Cate was stubborn and had outrageous moments that would probably have made me disliked her, but I just couldn’t. At first I thought the language was a little difficult, but surprisingly I caught on pretty quick after the first chapter or two. I also found it odd that almost immediately after meeting Pete she found herself hoping that he liked her, and shortly after she was stating that she would never marry. It was a bit confusing at first, but the adventure of the novel really took off and the confusing stuff at the beginning ended up not really mattering. There were some confusing, and even some frustrating moments in this novel, but really The Taming of the Shrew is filled with frustration and even though I found that when Cate and Peter were in New York they both acted very differently from who they really were I loved it when the got back to Lancaster County and I loved their relationship.

Good:

Cate—Independent business woman. Extremely stubborn, but with a soft-side for family.

Pete—Man I loved Pete, he was so care-free and just going with his heart.

Bad:

Betsy—She was a brat. She was pretty manipulative, and at one point stated that Cate was in the wrong because Cate never raised her properly, so it wasn’t her fault. And, I kind of seemed like she didn’t really learn her lesson.

At different points, but Pete and Cate were confusing. Cate acted straight rude, and Pete sometimes did the same when he was in New York. I know it helped make the story, but I missed who they truly were at those time.

Also sometimes things were a little confusing. I never really understood what happened with Seth and Cate. It was explained, but I felt like more detail was needed.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the story flowed nicely, and even though the language was confusing at first it really started to flow after the first chapter or two. Although the story was one I’ve hear before I liked the new take on it, and I loved the characters…even M&M, whom I hope are going to be in the next novels in the series. I fell in love with the moments that Cate and Pete shared together and was really just falling in love with their romance.

I don’t know if I’ve ever said this, but I usually don’t like reading Christian novels. Sometimes I find that the religious aspect overtake the story, but Bethany House has yet to fail me. The authors, including Leslie Gould, manage to bring the Christian values and intertwine them perfectly into a great story that can be enjoyable to all audiences. Especially those who simply love falling in love.

Next in the Series:

Adoring Addie (#2) ETA: May 2013

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you enjoy Christian Romance, or you just like falling in love with a good old fashion clean romance, and of course if you are friendly with Shakespeare/The Taming of The Shrew than this is a novel for you

If you liked this you'll probably love:

A Tailor-Made Bride and Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer

Read Completely:
Yes

Author Website/Blog:
Twitter:  @lesliejgould

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group"

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...