Tuesday, 25 December 2012

Stacking the Shelves #19


"Stacking the Shelves" is a meme created by Tynga's Reviews.

Here are some of the books I've received in the mail, from authors, from publishers, and picked up myself.
Feel free to click on the title of any of the books to be brought to their Goodreads page where you can find their summary and other info.

So here are some of the books that I've received since the last post, many of which I am very excited to started reading!


Opal
Lux #3
Jennifer L. Armentrout

I was so excited when I got this book.

Summary:

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.

Flee!
Nitridia Series #1
Lara Ashley

Provided by the author for review. Big thanks goes out to Lara Ashley!

Summary:

After finishing their junior year of high school, Rhonda Campbell and her best friend Alicia fly to beautiful Maui, Hawaii to intern at Nitridia Farm. At the airport they meet Jason and Roger, two hot college guys who offer to drive them out to the farm. It looks like they will be spending a romantic summer in paradise.

On the way, they pick up Keoni, a local guy and the five kids reach the secluded farm together. Rhonda is delighted to think she'll be working with all of these exotic plants, but as the sun sets the kids make several terrifying discoveries. And soon they are convinced that it is time to leave. If only it was that easy. Roger’s car won’t start and they realize they will likely be stuck on the farm overnight. Rhonda’s premonitions tell her that things are not going to turn out well.

Decked With Holly
Marni Bates

Summary:

Smartly blending of-the-moment pop culture references and timeless themes, Bates follows her YA debut, "Awkward", with a hilarious, over-the-top adventure about a teen girl who becomes the fake girlfriend of a cute rock star.

Taking a Christmas cruise with her two cousins from hell isn't Holly's idea of a good time. And when seasickness forces her into an open suite, she's pepper-sprayed by a gorgeous guy called Nick. But when Holly makes her exit, she's greeted by a horde of screaming teenage fans. Because Nick happens to be Dominic Wyatt, drummer for one of the hottest bands in America. Suddenly rumours are swirling and Holly's face is plastered all over the Internet. The band can't risk a scandal destroying their family-friendly image, so Dominic convinces Holly to be his fake girlfriend - just for two weeks. How bad could it be to be "fauxmantically" involved with a cute rock star? She's about to find out...

Highlander Most Wanted
Montgomerys and Armstrongs #2
May 19th 2013

Ou! I love Scots! Thanks to the publishers for the ARC copy!

Summary:

In Highlander Most Wanted, a reclusive woman content to live in the shadows shows a Highland warrior the true meaning of love.
  
Genevieve McInnes is locked behind the fortified walls of McHugh Keep, captive of a cruel laird who takes great pleasure in ruining her for any other man. Yet when Bowen Montgomery storms the gates on a mission of clan warfare, Genevieve finds that her spirit is bent but not broken. Still, her path toward freedom remains uncertain. Unable to bear the shame of returning to a family that believes her dead or to abandon others at the keep to an imposing new laird, Genevieve opts for the peaceful life of an abbess. But Bowen’s rugged sensuality stirs something deep inside her that longs to be awakened by his patient, gentle caress—something warm, wicked, and tempting.

Bowen seizes his enemy’s keep, unprepared for the brooding and reclusive woman who captures his heart. He’s enchanted by her fierce determination, her unusual beauty, and her quiet, unfailing strength. But wooing her will take more than a seasoned seducer’s skill. For loving Genevieve, he discovers, means giving her back the freedom that was stolen from her—even if it means losing her forever.

Hooked
Hooked #1
Liz Fichera
ETA: January 21st 2013

I really really want to read this bad boy. Big thanks to the publishing company for the ARC copy!

Summary:

When Native American Fredericka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done. 

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.

Rapunzel Untangled
Cindy C. Bennett
February 12th 2013

Thanks to the publishers for the ARC copy!

Summary:

Rapunzel is not your average teenager. For one thing, she has a serious illness that keeps her inside the mysterious Gothel Mansion. And for another, her hair is 15 feet long. Not to mention that she’s also the key to ultimately saving the world from certain destruction. But then she meets a boy named Fane, who changes all she has ever known, and she decides to risk everything familiar to find out who she really is. Filled with romance, adventure, and mystery, Rapunzel Untangled is one story you won’t want to put down. Discover the true meaning of love and friendship in this modern twist to the classic fairytale.

Riptide
Lindsey Scheibe
ETA: May 8th 2013

Thanks to the publishers for the advanced copy!

Summary:

Grace has one summer to prove she’s good enough

For Grace Parker, surfing is all about the ride and the moment. Everything else disappears. She can forget that her best friend, Ford Watson, has a crush on her that she can’t reciprocate. She can forget how badly she wants to get a surf scholarship to UC San Diego. She can forget the pressure of her parents’ impossibly high expectations.

When Ford enters Grace into a surf competition—the only way she can impress the UCSD surfing scouts—she has one summer to train and prepare. Will she gain everything she’s ever wanted or lose the only things that ever mattered?

Stand-In Star
Rachael Johns
ETA: January 1st 2013

This one sounds pretty good! Thanks to the publishers for the ARC copy!

Summary:

As an anthropologist, Holly McCartney is more comfortable in a museum than shopping on Rodeo Drive. She isn’t prepared for the media frenzy on her arrival in L.A. to accept a posthumous acting award for her late sister….or for her sister’s gorgeous friend Nate Devlin to come to her rescue. Though he resents her for some reason, she can’t fight their irresistible chemistry—especially when the paparazzi force her to stay at his mansion.

Photographer Nate only agrees to help Holly survive Hollywood for her sister’s sake, but she soon gets under his skin in a way no other woman has. The more time he spends with her, the more his attraction grows and he finds himself opening up to her in ways he never expected. But will ghosts of the past stand in the way of their perfect Hollywood ending?

Sunset at Sunrise
Sunset Vampire #1
Jaz Primo

Sounds like a good series.

Summary:

"We vampires are focused and tend to shape our own realities." My name is Katrina Rawlings, and I am a vampire. I declare that with neither pride nor ego. I am simply nature's most dangerous predator. On occasion, it's a very valuable quality. It helped me protect Caleb Taylor one day when he was very young. But that single, traumatic day is behind him now; wiped from his memory, or so I hope. Caleb has finally matured into a rather striking young man, and believe me, I like what I see. I'll readily admit that there are issues for us to confront and overcome, though a sense of mutual commitment isn't one of them. I'm feeling hopeful for our future together, in fact. But an adversary from my past has returned to haunt me, and she's trying to get back at me through Caleb. That was her first...and last...mistake. I'll protect my Caleb at all costs, and I'll make her regret the day she was born. So, I suppose that I'm not just a vampire. I'm about to become someone's worst nightmare.

The Gypsy King
The Gypsy King #1
Maureen Fergus
ETA: January 22nd 2013

I'm pretty excited to start reading this!

Summary:

A runaway slave with a shadowy past, sixteen-year-old Persephone has spent four long years toiling beneath the leering gaze of her despised owner and dreaming of a life where she is free to shape her own destiny. Then, one night, a chance encounter with a handsome chicken thief named Azriel changes her life forever.

Sold to him for a small bag of gold coins, Persephone soon discovers what she already suspected: namely, that Azriel is not what he seems. And when she realizes that he believes Persephone has a special destiny—she is determined to escape him and his impossibly broad shoulders.

But things are no longer as simple as they once were. Torn between her longing for freedom and her undeniable feelings for the handsome thief with the fast hands and the slow smile, Persephone faces the hardest choice she will ever have to make. And no one least of all her—could have imagined the shocking truth her decision will reveal.

True
Elixir #3
Hilary Duff
ETA: April 16th 2013

Summary:

The epic love story of Clea and Sage comes to its thrilling conclusion in the final book in the Elixir series by multitalented star Hilary Duff.Following the harrowing events ofElixir and Devoted—and the ceremony that almost killed Sage—Clea faces a new reality: With Sage’s soul in Nico’s body, the love of her life looks an awful lot like her best friend’s boyfriend. Can Clea and Sage really be happy under these circumstances?

Clea wants to try to enjoy their new life together, but Sage is acting different—angry—and she struggles to keep her friends from finding out what has happened to him. Something is clearly haunting Sage, and Clea is losing control. Can she trust her friends with the dangerous truth, or will she have to risk losing Sage to madness?

AND....

I broke down and got a Kindle.

My first eReader was a KOBO, and I have to tell you I absolutely love my KOBO. I mean love it. I never go anywhere without it. It was the best Christmas gift I've ever received. 

So, why did I get a Kindle?

The only downfall to my KOBO is they way its displays PDF files. Mainly, they are a giant pain in the butt. And, of course, many authors and publishers send me their novels in PDF format, or they have the option to send it to a Kindle.

I still love my KOBO. I can get just as many books on my KOBO than I can on my Kindle. And sometimes I can get even more for free. I can borrow books from my library through it, its a touch screen and cost under $100, not to mention the interface is much more user friendly.

However, the books that I was receiving in PDF format or had the option of sending to a Kindle was growing, and nothing really ticked me off more when I was getting a book I was really really excited about and then found out it was PDF or amazon format. It sometimes ruined my day.

What can I say...I'm a lover of books.

Top this all off with the fact that Kindles weren't widely available in Canada for a while and that makes me a sad girl. Or, at least one that was set on net getting one. In fact the sole seller in my area was The Source, and they've only had them for a couple of months. 

Finally, I saw one on sale....and, I broke down and got it.

And, I don't regret it.

Although I still love my KOBO the most it's nice to finally get to read all those PDF/Kindle books that were set aside. Not to mention the page turning time on the Kindle really does rock!

Now, I'm not saying KOBOs are better for everyone, because to each their own, just like some people prefer physical book to digital ones. Somethings (like seeing the book cover on my main page, or while browsing the library) that are important to me might not be to other people. 

I just encourage you to read as much as you can wherever you can.
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get Lux series myself.
    And yay for Kindle! I love mine :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT?!!! HOW DID YOU GET HILARY DUFF'S THIRD ELIXIR BOOK???????? I can NOT believe this!!!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH! I can't wait to see your review of Highlander Most Wanted!! I love Maya Banks Highlander books!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the Kindle and the awesome books.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...