Thursday, 10 January 2013

Review: Charming the Highlander by Janet Chapman


Charming the Highlander
Series: Pine Creek Highlanders #1
Author:  Janet Chapman
Publisher: Simon & Shuster Adult
Genre:  Romance, Historical, Scottish, Supernatural
Release Date: January 28th 2003
Pages:  375
Format: ebook
Source: Borrowed

Rating:

Reason chosen: 

Because I love Highlanders!

Summary taken from Goodreads:

A feisty beauty tempted by a bold highlander's touch...When a plane crash strands brilliant scientist Grace Sutter on an icy mountaintop in Maine, she finds herself alone in the wilderness with the only other surviving passenger -- Greylen MacKeage,a sexy, medieval warrior who's been tossed through time to find the woman he's destined to love. Forced together to survive the harsh, wintry landscape, neither expects the fierce passion that flares between them. But Grace is not used to letting her heart take control, and Greylen will settle for nothing less than her heart's surrender....

Review:

I loved this twist on the typical Highlander series. Instead of taking place in Scotland, or having them go back in time to the time of Highlanders we get Highlanders whom are thrown into the future. Into our modern times (well 2003). The twist brought along a lot of new aspects that I really liked such as the Clan/males learning the value or women and seeing them as equals, while still keeping their Alpha-Male and occasionally cave man personalities. I admit that I do still like the novels were they order them around as well. And then they threw in a baby. That’s right Grace is responsible for a little one during this novel and I loved watching Grey react with him. That made me have a heart swelling crush on him. And of course the fact that he could lift a sword that was big as Grace kind of helped. I loved the love between Grace and Grey, but for Grey is happened instantly. Love at first sight, which is always something I am weary about, but in this novel there is magic to help explain it and a long with magic comes the belief in soul mates. Janet Chapman does charm you in a novel filled with Highlanders, action, drama, and emotion, and has hooked me into the series.

Good:

Grace—independent, smart, and determined.

Grey—protective, determined, loyal, and a hot sexy highlander.

Bad:

The love moved a little fast, although I liked the passion. I also got a little lost in some of the technical space talk, but that was barely an issue.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall, I was enchanted. I loved Grace and I loved Grey, and I loved the isolation of the small town so that it didn’t make their transition into the new world seem unrealistic. The writing was easy to follow, and the passion had me blushing. I cried and worried when necessary and completely got dragged into their lives. The story was interesting and brought a new twist on the Highlander genre (it really should have it’s own, there is definitely enough books). Janet Chapman brought some new twists to a traditional story and made an ensemble of memorable characters. I can’t wait to see what the future has in store for the other characters of the series.

Next in the Series:








Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of Highlander romances, and/or historical romances than this is a book you might want to read.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

The Chief by Monica McCarty, Highlander’s Reward by Eliza Knight, McCabe Trilogy and The Montgomery and Armstrong series by Maya Bank, Ugly Ducklings series by Manda Collins, Daughters of Glen series by Melissa Mayhue, and Ransom My Heart by Meg Cabot

Read Completely:
Yes

Author Website/Blog:

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...