Thursday, 31 January 2013

Review: How Beauty Saved the Beast by Jax Garren


How Beauty Saved the Beast
Series: Tales of the Underlight #2
Author: Jax Garren
Publisher: Carina Press
Genre: Adult, Romance, Science Fiction, Paranormal
Release Date:  Feb 11th 2013
Pages:  208
Format: ebook
Source: Provided by publisher for review
View/Purchase:  Goodreads, Amazon, B&N

Rating:

Reason chosen: 

I really enjoyed the first novel in the series!

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Jolie Benoit left her old life behind to become an agent of the Underlight. Training under Sergeant Wesley Haukon, she’s honing her combat skills, all the while coping with the intense sexual attraction she feels for Hauk. She keeps their friendship casual, but when his high school sweetheart transfers into their division, Jolie finds herself grappling with jealousy.

The Underlight gave Hauk a purpose, but he can’t escape his past completely. The physical and emotional scars from the fire that killed seven fellow Army Rangers will mark him forever. Jolie sends his protective instincts into overdrive, but he’s convinced he’ll never be worthy of her love.

Hauk is determined to keep Jolie from harm. But when the Order of Ananke ambushes them with a new weapon that neutralizes Hauk, making him vulnerable, it’s Jolie who must tap into her hidden strengths to rescue him—or risk losing him forever…

Review:

I am so happy that they are finally getting their stuff together! Well, sort of. Jolie and Hauk are attracted to one another and they finally start to realize it! But this book is more than your typical beauty falls for the beast. This book starts off with an explosion, and grabs your attention from that moment forward. Throw in a past love of Hauk’s and you have one feisty Jolie. I will state that there are some moments when I was a little confused because the magic and mythological elements aren’t explained very well, but you tend to get the jist of it. I also found myself forgetting who some people were, but after a while I began to remember, however it was a little confusing until then. I have to admit that like Jolie I have completely forgotten about how Hauk “looks” and have simply fallen for him, even when he is ‘beasted’ out and carrying her home. There are some aspects of Jolie that I still don’t like. Although she doesn’t seem to care about her wealthy background is has unknowingly affected her, and she sometimes tends to act like a brat. There is also a take-charge attitude that she has gained in this novel that I found I really liked as a development. I also liked the fact that Jolie was more of the hero is this novel. Girl-power…what can I say? But, I do also miss the type of action that we had from Hauk in the first novel. It’s going to be very interesting to see how these two form a relationship in the world and circumstances that they live in.

Good:

Hauk—in my opinion…sexy.

Jolie—She is changing and becoming more of a tough woman that is willing to take what she wants.

Bad:

Some moments and some parts were a little confusing. Science Fiction is not generally my genre of reading so when I read about being brain-washed via a tattoo I get a little sceptical. There also some things, like how Hauk had the tattoo prior to the fire, that I didn’t really understand. Like how he got it. That kind of stuff. It almost felt like it was added in to help explain instead of being apart of the overall plot.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I find the series is coming along very well. I like the chemistry between the characters, and how to plot is starting to develop. I found that it was fairly easy to follow, although sometimes I did have to re-read parks to make sure I understood. I had some confusion about the characters and generally when starting a new novel in a series authors give a short re-cap, which would have been helpful. The story line got a little confusing in this novel, but it feels like its developing and hopefully more will be revealed in the next book. Jax Garren takes you on a romantic, girl-power filled adventure in How Beauty Saved the Beast that leaves you with the promise of something so much more wonderful in the next book.

Previously In the Series:

How Beauty Met the Beast (#1)-> Click for review

Next in the Series:

How Beauty Loved the Beast(#3) ETA: May 2013

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of the an adult version of Beauty and the Beast, with a little magic and mythology thrown in there, than this book is for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

LastKiss Goodnight by Gena Showalter, The Cat’s Meow by Stacey Kennedy, Coveted by Shawntelle Madison, An Everlasting Bite by Stacey Kennedy, Jolie Wilkins series by H.P. Mallory, Demon Hunting inDixie by Lexi George, Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost, Katherine “Kitty” Katt series by Gini Koch, Mercy Thompson Series and Alpha& Omega series by Patricia Briggs

Read Completely:
Yes

Author Website/Blog: http://www.jaxgarren.com
Twitter: @JCGarren

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review, this series looks fascinating. I will have to find book 1 :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...