Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Review: Married with Zombies by Jesse Petersen


Married With Zombies
Series: Living with the Dead #1
Author: Jesse Petersen
Publisher: Orbit
Genre:  Zombies, Horror, Romance, Humour, Adult, Fantasy, Apocalyptic
Release Date: September 1st 2012
Pages:  244
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased

Rating:

Reason chosen: 

I noticed the fourth book in the series on a post from The Bookish Brunette and when I looked into it…I had to have it

Summary taken from Goodreads:

A heartwarming tale of terror in the middle of the zombie apocalypse.

Meet Sarah and David.

Once upon a time they met and fell in love. But now they're on the verge of divorce and going to couples' counseling. On a routine trip to their counselor, they notice a few odd things - the lack of cars on the highway, the missing security guard, and the fact that their counselor, Dr. Kelly, is ripping out her previous client's throat.

Meet the Zombies.

Now, Sarah and David are fighting for survival in the middle of the zombie apocalypse. But, just because there are zombies, doesn't mean your other problems go away. If the zombies don't eat their brains, they might just kill each other.

Review:

I started reading this and I got to thinking about the Zombie apocalypse. You know, the one that is inevitable. Well, that is what this novel has me now believing. I’ve stashed up the canned goods. Planned out my team, thought about where to get supplies, and the best place to hide. This novel opened up a whole new genre for me and I know there is no going back. Sarah and David are in a rut…and somehow they are winging it through the Zombie apocalypse. How they woke up and drove all the way to their doctors without really noticing it I have no clue. But the novel made me notice how much we sweat the small stuff. This couple is on the verge of divorce, but all it took was the Zombie Apocalypse to bring them together. Which sounds ridiculous, but really how much time and energy do we put into fighting about putting the toilet seat cover down? Or playing video games? I mean those shooting skills could potentially come in handy when facing a horde of zombies. The book also made me think about what I would do. Would I really kill my friends and family if they were infected? Who would I be willing to sacrifice? Oh, its all so crazy yet makes you really think. What I really liked about this book the most is the mixture of humour and drama. I loved how they took the kinkiness of rope tying and pointed out how it could come in handy, or the fact that she appreciated how she married a boy scout because his skills have really come in handy.
This novel was a pleasure to read even if it has me preparing for something that may never happen.

Good:

Sarah—Organizational nagging freak that you would really want on your team.

David—Boy scout. Clearly has skills you need for your team

Bad:

I did feel like Sarah and David worked their problems out pretty quickly, however, I guess it could the whole ‘don’t sweat the small stuff’ especially when your best friend was just bit by a Zombie.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall this book was a pleasure to read. At first I was a little weary off the whole Zombie genre. The only other zombie books I’ve read are Alice in Zombieland (which have very different Zombies) and Poison Princess (which barely have zombies), but this book has me diving right in to all sort of zombie novels. It was easy to follow, and I never had to re-read anything. In fact the writing was so well done that some of the descriptions of the undead almost had me gagging. And if you say that’s bad writing then you really have no clue what zombies are all about. I laughed, I cried a bit, and I rooted for them when they did something super cool. You encounter everything that you probably would in the Zombie apocalypse. From killing your BFF, to cults, to wondering if you family will make it through. Jesse Petersen makes you think about what choices you would make while enjoying a funny and meaningful story in his novel Married with Zombies. Join the Zombie team and pick this book up.

Quotes:

Click here for some of my favourite quotes.

Next in the Series:


Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of zombies, and couples working through their issues than this is for you.

Read Completely:
Yes

Author Website/Blog: http://www.jessepetersen.net
Twitter:  @jessepet

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...