Monday, 11 February 2013

Review: Rush by Maya Banks


Rush
Series:  Breathless #1
Author:  Maya Banks
Publisher:  Berkley Books
Genre:  Adult, Contemporary, Erotic Romance
Release Date: Feb 5th 2013
Pages:  396
Format: Paperback
Source: Provided by author for review

Rating:

Reason chosen: 

I was contacted by the publisher about reviewing the book, and I loved Maya Bank’s Highlander series, so I said yes.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Gabe, Jace, and Ash: three of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the country. They’re accustomed to getting anything they want. Anything at all. For Gabe, it’s making one particular fantasy come true with a woman who was forbidden fruit. Now she’s ripe for the picking...

When Gabe Hamilton saw Mia Crestwell walk into the ballroom for his hotel’s grand opening, he knew he was going to hell for what he had planned. After all, Mia is his best friend’s little sister. Except she’s not so little anymore. And Gabe has waited a long time to act on his desires.

Gabe has starred in Mia’s fantasies more than once, ever since she was a teenager with a huge crush on her brother’s best friend. So what if Gabe’s fourteen years older? Mia knows he’s way out of her league, but her attraction has only grown stronger with time. She’s an adult now, and there’s no reason not to act on her most secret desires.

As Gabe pulls her into his provocative world, she realizes there’s a lot she doesn’t know about him or how exacting his demands can be. Their relationship is intense and obsessive, but as they cross the line from secret sexual odyssey to something deeper, their affair runs the risk of being exposed—and vulnerable to a betrayal far more intimate than either expected.

Review:

50 Shades of Grey? Move over.
I’m not gonna lie when I say I was a little out of my comfort zone when I read this novel. I’ve never really read an erotic romance, not to this level at least, but I had to give it a try because I love Maya Banks’ Highlander series…I mean really love. Anyhow. I gave it a shot and I’m happy I did because I actually enjoyed it. Although the Kink really isn’t my style I still found I enjoyed the characters, the story, and overall the romance. There were some things that bothered. There seems to be a typical layout happening for romance novels including the guy being a millionaire/billionaire, there being a large age gap (which kind of freaks me out a little bit), and the male always wanting to “own” the woman. Sadly these were present in this novel. However, it didn’t stop me from reading it and it didn’t stop me from liking it either. The only thing I could say that really bothered me was the constant repetitiveness. Mia and Gabe constantly think about how its nothing more than physical and how there is no way the other likes them for more than what it is. This is repeated often and it started to bug me because it seemed like filler. Again though the story was still enjoyable. I liked Gabe. I liked his all business attitude and his Alpha-male characteristics sometimes. I like Mia who just wants to make people happy, and that she does really step up and become something more than what she was when the novel started. You can see some real character development in the novel.

Good:

The characters—they actually evolve and change, which is really nice to see.

The hot moments—they were pretty hot.

Bad:

Some of the traits that seem to be becoming the norm in contemporary romances like the guy having a lot of money, the age difference (which I have never been a fan of), and the dominance thing. There was also a lot of repetitiveness with the characters questioning themselves and each other.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the novel was enjoyable even if it was outside of my comfort zone. It was easy to follow and I never had to re-read anything. When the hot stuff happened I was blown away by how easily I got sucked in and just couldn’t break away. The characters like all of Maya Banks’ developed into something more. There were moments when I shook my head, wanted to punch a character, and time when I would have given an arm to simply have one night with Gabe. For something that was different than what I am use to with Maya Banks this novel left me smiling and even passing it on to other to read.

Next in the Series:

Fever (#2) ->Click for review

Burn (#3) ETA: August 6th 2013

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a love of the erotic romance than this is one for you

If you liked this you'll probably love:

I’m assuming 50 Shades of Grey by E.L. James and Bared toYou by Sylvia Day, but also Reaper’s Property by Joanna Wylde, The Proposition by Katie Ashley, Beautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren, Wallbanger by Alice Clayton, Marriage to a Billionaire series by Jennifer Probst, Play-By-Play series by Jaci Burton, Turn It On by Vivian Arend

Read Completely:
Yes

Author Website/Blog: http://www.mayabanks.com
Twitter: @maya_banks

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. The sex scenes became really too much towards the end of the book. When you are tempted to skip a sex scene you know something is wrong. Maya Banks writes a amazingly sensual sex scene but she overdid it slightly in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...