Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Review: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion


Warm Bodies
(Click here for movie review)
Series: Warm Bodies #1
Author: Isaac Marion
Publisher: Atria
Genre: YA, Romance, Zombies, Dystopia
Release Date:  April 26th 2011
Pages:  239
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Rating: 

Reason chosen: 

The movie was coming out and I remember a lot of people saying good things about the movie.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

R is a young man with an existential crisis--he is a zombie. He shuffles through an America destroyed by war, social collapse, and the mindless hunger of his undead comrades, but he craves something more than blood and brains. He can speak just a few grunted syllables, but his inner life is deep, full of wonder and longing. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse. Just dreams. 

After experiencing a teenage boy's memories while consuming his brain, R makes an unexpected choice that begins a tense, awkward, and strangely sweet relationship with the victim's human girlfriend. Julie is a burst of vibrant color in the otherwise dreary and gray landscape that R lives in. His decision to protect her will transform not only R, but his fellow Dead, and perhaps their whole lifeless world.

Scary, funny, and surprisingly poignant, Warm Bodies is about being alive, being dead and the blurry line in between.


Review:

I finished this bad boy the morning the movie came out. Right in time to go see it. Although this book can be classified as YA there some mature moment. Nothing that would really suggest it being an adult book, but I would still be warned before you let someone young read this. The descriptions that are provided and they way some things are explained are so well worded that sometimes I just had to stop and say “wow” to Isaac Marion’s writing skills. It really is some top-notch descriptive writing. As for the characters I really was rooting for R the entire time, but sometimes I questioned if he was becoming Perry, or becoming himself. I really wanted to find out more about R as well, but none of the zombies remember who they were before they became infected. Also the Zombies do talk more than the movie makes it out to be, and I really loved it. I liked Julie too, there was also much more to her than it seemed. I like the way the novel brought the reader into the world of the zombies and allowed you to see them as human. Even before the ‘change’ begins they form a society and are semi acting like they did before they became zombies. It was really fascinating to read. Isaac Marion created an interesting and gripping new world in his novel Warm Bodies that is guaranteed to make you feel something.

Good:

R-A pretty complicated fellow. But, pretty awesome too.

Julie-Feisty, and optimistic. She teaches up to never give up, and to be open-minded.

Bad:

It was a little slow at time.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I found the book fascinating. It was easy to follow and filled with humour in all the right moments. The characters were interesting and the story itself was something new. I’ve never read a novel about good zombies, or ones that were changing back. It was also interesting to see that zombie still remained human enough that they could have relationships, whether it be marriage, adopting kids, or just friendships. I truly loved this book. I liked the characters, the situations, and I’m really looking forward to the next book in the series (yes it was announced it was being made into a series).

Quotes:

Click here to read some of my favourite quotes!

Previously in the Series:

The New Hunger (#.05) Released after Warm Bodies
Boarded Windows (#0.6) Released after Warm Bodies

Next in the Series:

Untitled Warm Bodies #2
No info provided as of yet, other than there will be one!

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover or zombie romance, or just rooting for society to pull through and rise above than this is a novel for you

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Married with Zombies by Jesse Petersen, Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter, Poison Princess by Krelsey Cole.

Read Completely:
Yes

Trailer:

Alternate Cover(s):



Twitter: @isaacinspace

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Love your review. i read it and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I wasn't a zombie fan before "R", he stole my heart. The author made the ugly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You took the words right out of my mouth! I couldn't agree more. I wasn't a big Zombie fan until R. And even when he was feeding I was fascinated by the words that Isaac Marion was using!

      Delete
  2. I really can't wait to read this - especially after reading your review. My copy just arrived today - I wanted to read it before I go and see the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I didn't read this yet, but I borrowed it from the library. I'm going to start it soon! I don't really like zombies but this sounds good. At least it wasn't slow ALL the time. :P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...