Monday, 10 June 2013

Review: Obsession by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsession
Series:  Arum #1
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Genre:  Paranormal, Aiens/Science Fiction, Romance, New Adult
Release Date:  May 31st 2013
Pages:  370
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased
View/Purchase:  Goodreads, Chapters/Indigo.ca/KOBO, Amazon, B&N

Rating:



Reason chosen:  

Jennifer L. Armentrout is a wizard with words and stories and I love the series of hers that I have read so far!

Summary taken from Goodreads:

He's arrogant, domineering, and... To. Die. For. Hunter is a ruthless killer. And the Department of Defense has him firmly in their grasp, which usually doesn’t chafe too badly because he gets to kill bad guys. Most of the time he enjoys his job. That is, until he’s saddled with something he’s never had to do before: protect a human from his mortal enemy.Serena Cross didn’t believe her best friend when she claimed to have seen the son of a powerful senator turn into something...unnatural. Who would? But then she witnesses her friend’s murder at the hands of what can only be an alien, thrusting her into a world that will kill to protect their secret.Hunter stirs Serena’s temper and her lust despite their differences. Soon he’s doing the unthinkable breaking the rules he’s lived by, going against the government to keep Serena safe. But are the aliens and the government the biggest threats to Serena’s life...or is it Hunter?

Review:

I wasn't sure what to expect when reading a New Adult novel set in the same world as the Lux series, but then I thought about Jennifer L. Armentrout's other New Adult novel Wait For You, which blew my socks off, and my fears vanished. Seeing and hearing things from Hunter and Serena's points of view changes how I view the Arum and Luxen world in the Lux series, and makes me question who really is the bad guy. The majority of Lux that I've been introduced to were good guys, however, that changes in this novel. Now, don't worry you don't have to have read the LUx series to understand or be able to follow this one. But, I will admit that it will open your eyes up a lot! After reading this novel I hope that the next book in the series continues on with these characters, but I want to know more about Hunter! I want to get to his brother and better understand their past on Earth. And, I want to know what comes of Serena and Hunter and if they get a "normal" life together.
I loved the passion that was in this novel. Hunter definitely reminded me a lot of Daemon, especially because of their cocky attitude! But, I loved the passion between Hunter and Serena and the things that his darker nature almost make him do. But, I also fell in love with the struggle that he had to subdue his darker side and protect her, until his darker side finally came on board and was all about wanting and need her while keeping her safe. And mostly I love that he was 100% percent honest when everyone kept asking him why he was doing these things, like protecting Serena, or telling her about his past...he just didn't know. And Serena...she is just like Hunter in so many ways. Independent, stubborn, and  believes thats he can protect herself against anything. And, like Hunter she wants revenge when something happens to someone close to her. For those that have read the Lux series I bring about the question that was on my mind for a lot of the book. What is Luc? My opinion? One of his parents was a Hybrid, or he became a hybrid while in utero, or even when he was very very small. I could be wrong on all accounts, but the question has me going crazy.

Good:

Hunter--What instinct should be trust and use? Human or Arum? He is protective of what is his and his arrogant. I love those qualities sometimes.

Here is how I pictured Hunter



Serena--Determined to do what’s right by her friends. She’s loyal and independent. And she has a mouth on her when she wants to.

Here is how I pictured Serena


Bad: 

Nothing.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall Jennifer L. Armentrout has produced another upstanding novel, and series. The writing was easy to follow and the novel overall was very well written. Her characters were unique and fiesty and even when there wasn't much adventure going on, there was definitely some action going on. I loved the new view on a world we've already come to fall in love with. Obsession has refreshed my Obsession of the world of the Luxen and Arum, and made me appreciate Jennifer L. Armentrout and her writing skils even more. Because she definitely has some mad skills.

Quotes:

Click here for some of my favourite quotes!

Next in the Series:

I don’t know. But, I want to know. I really, really, really want to know. Do you know?

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you love her Lux series, or if you love a really good Alien New Adult romance...this get this. Get this novel now. 

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Katherine “Kitt” Katt series by Gini Koch, Lux Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Drowning In You by Rebecca Berto, The Baby Bargain by Jennifer Apodaca, Reaper’s Property by Joanna Wylde, The Proposition by Katie Ashley, Wait For You by J.Lynn, The Only Exception by Magan Vernon, The Secret of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen, One Week Girlfriend series by Monica Murphy, Barbie Girl by Heidi Acosta, Charade by Nyrae Dawn, Crash series by Nicole Williams, 12 Rounds by Lauren Hammond, Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles, Losing It by Cora Carmack, Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Read Completely: 
Yes


Author Website/Blog: http://www.jenniferarmentrout.com
Twitter: @jlarmentrout
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JenniferLArmentrout?fref=ts

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...