Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Review: Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris

Unraveling
Series:  Unraveling #1
Author: Elizabeth Norris
Publisher: Blazer + Bray
Genre:  Young Adult, Romance, Science Fiction
Release Date:  April 24th 2013
Pages:  464
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased
View/Purchase:  Goodreads, Chapters/Indigo.ca/KOBO, Amazon, B&N, The Book Depository

Rating:

Reason chosen:  

I have heard so much about the book, so how could I not?

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Sixteen-year-old Janelle Tenner is used to having a lot of responsibility. She balances working as a lifeguard in San Diego with an intense academic schedule. Janelle's mother is bipolar, and her dad is a workaholic FBI agent, which means Janelle also has to look out for her younger brother, Jared.

And that was before she died...and is brought back to life by Ben Michaels, a mysterious, alluring loner from her high school. When she discovers a strange clock that seems to be counting down to the earth's destruction, Janelle learns she has twenty-four days to figure out how to stop the clock and save the planet.

Review:

If you take Fringe and X-Files then add a little Young Adult in there you will get Unraveling. This book kept my working, while Ben kept my heart fluttering. Janelle is a very independent character and smart character that is determined to find things out. But, before her big accident the only thing she really has to worry about was her family, afterwards she has the world on her shoulders. And on that Janelle loses a lot in this book, when she doesn’t have much left in her life to begin with. But, we soon find out that Ben is pretty much in the same boat. He’s a fish out of water and he isn’t what he seems. Coming off as a loner/stoner type we find out that Ben is actually pretty darn smart, and determined, and caring. And, it’s all rolled up into a nice tall package that Janelle finds yummy. This book was filled with mystery, dramatics, romance, and adventure and kept me coming back for more. I will admit that there was a lot of flash backs to better and/or sad times in Janelle’s life, which were probably there to make up feel for Janelle and understand her better, but I found it slowing the book down. The book is pretty large and I felt that there was a lot of slow moments throughout it, basically for something so large a lot didn’t really happen until the end of the books. That’s not to say that stuff doesn’t happen in the beginning of the book, because it does. In the first chapter (only a couple of pages in) is when everything starts. But then days go by of Janelle and Alex researching before she even talks to Ben, then more days go by before something else happens. I did just find myself being easily distracted until a little over half-way through then stuff really spiced up. However, when something happened (even in the beginning) it was big.

Good:

Janelle--She strong (because she has to be), she’s determined, smart, and outgoing. And, when she finds out you messed with her, or her family...she knows how to kick some butt.

This is how I imagined Janelle



Ben--Intelligent, caring, determined, and trying to do what’s right for himself, his friends, Janelle, and the world.


Here is how I pictures Ben



Struz--Kind of seems like the older brother, but he’s really her dad’s FBI partner, and every once in a while he takes charge. He kind of reminds me of Chuck from Chuck. Just a big geek. I hope there is more of him to come.




The party scene- Although it was a pretty difficult moment for Janelle it gave her peace of mind, and it showed Ben’s true colours. I may have fallen for him at that very moment.

Bad: 

Some parts were slow, and I think it would definitely take some understanding of Science to fuller understand everything that they were talking about.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I really did enjoy this read even if I found it occasionally slow. When the adventure got going it was enough to hold me on till the next big moment in the book. I loved Ben and how he saw Janelle, and how Janelle was able to pick up suttle things about Ben and see him for who he really was, when others would simply label him. The writing was very well done, and easy to follow. I was pretty impress that there wasn’t some small science talk, but real and in-depth scientific theories in this novel. It makes us English majors with minors in Science pretty happy. Overall this book left me smiling and crying. And, yes...I have already stepped out and purchased the second one.

Quotes:

Click here for some of my favourite quotes!

Next in the Series:

Undone (#1.5)


Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of YA romance with a little bit of science-fiction/paranormal thrown in there, then this might just be a book for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Dualed by Elsie Chapman, Lux series and Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Greta and the Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs, Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter, Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones, Iron King by Julie Kagawa, Poison Princess by Kresley Cole, Demon Trapper Series by Jana Oliver, Elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer, The Ghost and the Goth Series by Stacey Kade

Read Completely: 
Yes


Trailer:


Other Covers

Author Website/Blog: http://liznorris.blogspot.ca, http://elizabethnorrisbooks.com
Twitter: @liz-Norris
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/unravelingseries, https://www.facebook.com/ElizabethNorrisAuthor

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. It looks like some kinds of story about vampire, but I was wrong about this! Thanks for the great review! I would like a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like you review and I really should read this book soon.
    And I was looking true your other reviews and I think it is really cool that you have an idea how the characters would look like when they are acteurs :)

    Mariska

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...