Wednesday, 17 July 2013

My dear Meg Cabot letter, my first love, and where it all began.


I don't know if I ever mentioned this...but I am a big Meg Cabot fan. 
In fact, Meg Cabot kind of started my insatiable love for YA books. 
So, I signed up to participate in the Meg-A-Readers blog hop.
You can find out more into about it here.

First, I'm going to start things off on a serious note...just to get it out of the way.

Dear: Meg Cabot,

You are enchanting.
Inspirational.
Funny.
Plain and simple...you are wonderful.

Your novels introduced me to a whole new world. 
To a whole new way of life. 
To new options and new choices.
You introduced me to a new me.  

You helped me discover what I wanted to do with my future.
Who I wanted to be in the future.

Meg Cabot, you have and still do inspire me in ways you will never understand. 
You have shown me a life I never knew existed. 
You and the characters that you have created were and are inspirations to myself, and other girls (and even boys) world-wide.

You are and always will be appreciated.
And I truly, truly, hope that you have many, if not hundreds, of stories still left in you.

Now that's out of the way I will explain. 
I will tell you a little story about my first love. About my first time. About my first rebellious faze. About where it all began.
Whoa, whoa. Get you're mind out of the gutter. I'm talking about my first casual read. My first book boyfriend. My first YA read. Geeze.
You see, it started many many years ago when I was a couple of feet shorter. I had read books before. But, they were usually assigned by my class/school, or for some reason I got it in my mind that I had to read classics, and Harry Potter. Harry Potter is a given. But when you read books like Huckleberry Finn at age 11, you never really get the whole meaning because, well you're eleven and don't necessarily understand how life works. You just think this kids has run away and having one heck of an adventure.
Anyhow, that's beyond the point. I was probably around 16 when I finally really got into reading YA, and one day I went in to my local library deciding to just look around. There was a special little display right up front featuring a best selling author: Meg Cabot. I walked over and noticed The Princess Diaries. I had seen the movie and loved it. So I thought I would get some of her books. I picked up The Princess Diaries and Shadowland (Mediator series #1). 
I read The Princess Diaries first and loved it. I laughed so hard I thought I would bust a gut. I knew that I had to get back to the library and borrow the rest of the series. Better yet, I knew I need to own then. 
Then I read Shadowland
And I was done for. 
Many people know Meg more for her Princess Diaries series, but I was a true lover of The Mediator series. I had a lady-crush on Suze. She kick some serious butt, and looked fashionable while doing it. And my heart belonged and still belongs to one Mr. Jesse de Silva. 
I loved the series so much I immediately went to my local bookstore and picked up the series. Well, books 1-5, the 6th wasn't released yet. 
And, everyday when we had 10 minutes of reading at the beginning of each school day I read those novels. I read them on the bus ride to school and home. Even when I suffer from motion sickness. I sat in my bedroom when I got home and read them. I had never experienced anything like this since Harry Potter. But, this was Young Adult. Not the children's section. Harry Potter is still one of my top series, but this was just different.
But, I still didn't have enough time. So, I started sitting at the back of the class. I started reading and hiding my book behind the person who sat in front of me. It was the start of a small rebellion. 
But, it was the start of something new. The start of my love for Young Adult.

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for Participating in Meg-A Readers! Love the letter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg Cabot is really a YA queen.
    I've read a lot of her books... in fact, she is the author I've read the most, and I think she is fascinating, and funny, like you said. And I admire her so much for the flexibility that she owns. And, of course, she was there while I was growing, so I've learned a lot from her.
    This post is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also fell in love with Meg Cabot because of her Mediator series! I'm still waiting for my One True Love, Jesse, as well. I even have Carmel on my bucket list of places to visit because of these novels. I'm glad I found your post - made me reminisce about reading all of her great YA books. Thanks for making me smile today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That letter should be the Meg-a-Readers anthem, thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely the same EXACT experience I had with Meg Cabot's books. I LOVED the Mediator series like something fierce, and also fell in love with Jesse. I still consider it one of my favorite series ever.

    Also, I was wondering if you know if it's too late to sign up for this blog hop? I have to get back into the swing of blogging, and this would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Katie I think it's closed! Glad to hear someone else experienced that same Meg-a-venture as me!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...