Thursday, 15 May 2014

Never Doubt the Fandom


I’m pretty sure everyone out there understands the term, but just in case:
Fan (Fan, I really shouldn’t have to explain that one), and dom(kingdom). So Fandom= Kingdom of fans/community of fans. 

I’ve recently come to realize that I should just never doubt the Fandom. 


I don’t know what’s been up with me when it comes to things that sound iffy to me, but blow up in the fandom. I’m apart of the Fandom/ many Fandoms and have been for quite some time. I’ve taken a FanVids class (yes, I know. Awesome) where I learnt all about shipping relationships, and OTP, and many many other things that I never learnt about in my years of blogging. I mean usually I’m like this…



In fact, when I do ignore the Fanfom I really feel stupid after I’ve read the books. I’m usually like “I don’t get it. What’s so great about that series/book?” Duh. Read it and find out. Obviously. 

But, for some reason sometimes I still don’t. 

Recently I felt this way about The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. And, for those who’ve followed me on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram, you’ve probably come to realize I am now and officially OBSESSED with the series. 

Seriously.


Every time something comes up that doesn’t allow me time to read the series I’m like…


Or...



When I first came across the series I was like…


The summary sounded okay, and to be honest I wasn’t really feeling the cover art. I know, I know. Don’t judge a book by its cover…don’t get me started. 

But over my years of reading, and book blogging I’ve come to see the series every where, and now its spin-off series (Bloodlines). 

But still, for some absolutely stupid reason I ignored it. 

In fact, after a certain while, whenever I came across something from the Fandom I was like...



Then my friend told me she loved it and wanted to go see the movie with me. I made said friend a bookadict, so really I should have been all over this, but instead I was like…




Then, the movie came….and it didn’t come to my hometown. I was like….



But then it was released early on iTunes and my friend bought it. So I watched it. 

I’m going to post a review shortly, so check it out when you get the chance. 

After watching it I came away from it thinking “I like what they have going on there.”

So I read the first book. 

Now, I understand why you should never doubt the fandom. 

I'm feeling like this towards the series...


And desperately hoping that a miracle will occur and a second movie will be made (doesn't look like it. The first one was poorly advertised, and also...poorly edited. *Sigh).

And, this wasn’t the first series that I was like this with.

Divergent was one of them. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was another. So was Hexhall. And…The Hunger Games (thankfully I caught onto that one long before the movies were in the make). And as for shows…there are so many I wouldn’t even know where to start

So you see my vicious circle that I bring upon myself. 

Anyhow, now something in me has changed. 

Every time I see a book that becomes this big thing..that gets it’s own Fandom I’m like…


Now, when people tell me they “don’t understand what all the hype is about” and they’ve never read the book I’m like…


For the past couple of days I’ve been unable to express my feelings towards my fellow book-aholic friend about how much I appreciate her introducing me to this series.



And basically her, as well as other people I’ve spoken to about this series are now like…


So, there are people out there that do this. I know I was one of them. 

Basically, I'm saying:

Just try not to. Give the book a shot. 
.


 photo Signature11_zpsd46d1ce8.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...